5 Foods Your Dog CAN Eat on Thanksgiving
By: Tracey Zysk – Nov. 2015
Eat Eat Eat…
When preparing your Thanksgiving dinner, take a moment and create a plate for your four legged friend.
Over and over we are told NOT to feed our dogs “people food”. Well on this Thanksgiving, let’s break the rules a little and let your dog be included in the family dinner. No, he doesn’t get to sit at the kids table but he is welcomed to a festive meal. If you plan a plate properly and in moderation, there are some delicious foods that are perfectly safe for your pup.
1. Turkey – Cut up some of the white meat into small pieces, your pup will be in heaven ! Just stay away from giving him the skin, dark meat and any of the bones.
2. Green Beans – Very tasty and loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber. Please do not put any salt, pepper or butter on the beans.
3. Sweet Potatoes – Yummy…your dog will be licking his plate clean. Most dogs love sweet potatoes and it ranks #1 in nutritional content of all vegetables. Once again serve with no salt, pepper or butter.
4. Peas – The fun vegetable. Your dog will probably push, mush and play with this veggie but he will eventually eat it all. Serve either raw or cooked. Peas are reliable source of omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
and for dessert
5. Pumpkin – did you know pumpkin is one of the best way to calm a dog’s digestive tract ? And what a wonderful after dinner treat. It’s pumpkin..It’s tradition..why not? Your pup deserves a little too. Just don’t serve with whipped cream or ice cream …
Just a friendly reminder, no garlic, onions, salt, pepper, peanuts, berries or dairy products for your dog as these foods can be toxic.
I wish you, your family, and all your pets a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving !
Tracey Zysk, owner of Wiggles & Jiggles Pet Care in North Andover MA is a local pet care professional. She has been featured on local radio, tv and newspapers educating the general public on animal care and animal health & wellness. Tracey is a proud supporter of Police, Fire & Military K9 units and National Award winner of the Platinum PAW award. Tracey may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Become a fan on facebook at Wiggles & Jiggles Pet Care