Categories

Archives

Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 2)

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much…..Helen Keller ~ ROBIN’S KITTY CORNER

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much…..Helen Keller ~ ROBIN’S KITTY CORNER

By: Robin Desmet – Sept. 2016 Oftentimes when I show up at someone’s home to trap their backyard cats, I am by myself. I set up the traps and then…

Teachers Lives Matter ~ YE GAY OL’ VALLEY

Teachers Lives Matter ~ YE GAY OL’ VALLEY

By: Dani Langevin – Sept. 2016 Last month, Tom Duggan posted a comment asking people if they supported merit pay for teachers and the claws came out. I’ve been an…

An Answer to Some Critics of the Expanded Use of NARCAN

An Answer to Some Critics of the  Expanded Use of NARCAN

By: State Rep. Linda Dean Campbell – Sept, 2016 During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln explained his reluctance to impose capital punishment upon homesick soldiers that deserted or upon young…

Honoring our Veterans

Honoring our Veterans

By: Don Jarvis – Sept. 2016 Today, someone’s child will enlist in our armed forces, take an oath they uphold for the rest of their life. This individual will stand…

High Court Ruling Is A Win for Electricity Ratepayers ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR IVES

High Court Ruling Is A Win for Electricity Ratepayers ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR IVES

By: State Senator Kathleen Ives – Sept, 2016 In August, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court made an important ruling, determining it to be unlawful for electric distribution companies to pass…

Cambridge College-Lawrence Moves to State of the Art Campus

Cambridge College-Lawrence Moves to State of the Art Campus

New location expands capacity, increases student resources and enhances access Cambridge College recently announced plans to move its campus from 360 Merrimack Street to 280 Merrimack Street in Lawrence, effective…

National Night Out on Tower Hill in Lawrence

National Night Out on Tower Hill in Lawrence

By: Rickey Gonzalez – Aug. 2016 LAWRENCE – National Night Out continues to bring the community together with those that protect and serve. They (who) come together under a united…

Medical Interpreter Information Session Offered at NECC

Medical Interpreter Information Session Offered at NECC

An information session, for individuals interested in enrolling in a Medical Interpreter Certificate Program at Northern Essex Community College, will be held on Saturday, September 10, from 10 to 11…

Sugar and Spice, Not so Nice

Sugar and Spice, Not so Nice

By: Rick Bellanti – August, 2016 As Def Leppard once said back in the 1980s, Pour Some Sugar on Me. But that’s about all I would do with sugar now,…

Technologies for Aging in Place

Technologies for Aging in Place

By: Celeste Begley – Aug, 2016 The proverbial “an apple a day will keep the doctor away” is today more likely “an app any time of day will keep the…

Paula’s Journey for Hope, A Methuen Woman’s Story

Paula’s Journey for Hope, A Methuen Woman’s Story

The family and friends of Paula Stamoulis Corey are uniting to raise money to help Paula get diagnostic care and treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Paula was diagnosed…

Closing the Loopholes on Drunk Driving Laws ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR KATY IVES

Closing the Loopholes on Drunk Driving Laws  ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR KATY IVES

By: State Senator Kathleen O’Connor Ives August, 2018 In July, the Massachusetts Senate passed legislation to promote the use of ignition interlock devices by OUI offenders, which test a driver’s…

Lawrence’s Al Zappala Named GM of Sicilian Football Team

Lawrence’s Al Zappala Named GM of Sicilian Football Team

Lawrence native Alfred M. Zappala was named General Manager today of the Elephants Catania American football team in Catania, Sicily bringing decades of experience to one of the most  storied franchises in…

5K Road Races – Have Some Fun

5K Road Races – Have Some Fun

By: Rick Bellanti – July, 2016 It’s that time and summer is fast approaching, which means the nicer weather will be bringing out all the competitive walkers, joggers and running…

Baby Boomer Brain Drain

Baby Boomer Brain Drain

By: Celeste Begley – July, 2016 America’s more than 76 million baby boomers—those born between 1946 and 1964—are known for shaping new cultural trends in music, fashion, politics, the economy…