Archives

District Attorney Drops Terror Charge on Methuen Teen who made “Columbine” Threat

 

By: Tom Duggan – January 4, 2013

LAWRENCE – A dangerousness hearing was held today, for 17 year old Methuen High School Junior, Jacob Butze-Maille, who made threats to commit a mass shooting at Methuen High School last month. His arrest was just days before the mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut.

Radio Interview of Chief Solomon (Dec 15, 2012) Chief talks candidly about the details of the arrest and how they prevented a mass school shooting like the one that took place just days later in Newtown Connecticut.

During today’s hearing in Lawrence District Court, District Attorney Jon Blodgett’s office dropped the threat to commit terrorism charge, a move that Methuen Police Chief Joe Solomon said he agreed with.

“The situation is extremely serious,” the chief said in an exclusive interview with the Valley Patriot.

“I’m glad the courts and the District Attorney is taking this serious. But, based on their evaluation of the charges and his situation, they decided that one of the charges should be withdrawn and that’s the terrorism charge and we support the D.A. completely on that.”

Solomon said that he was relieved that the teen was not going to be freed and that his situation was continually being evaluated. “It appears this case will remain in district court because the most serious charge has been nullified. We are working towards [finding out] what his motivation was behind all this. Once we are comfortable that we have an answer to that, then the decision will be made as to whether or not this is extremely serious, or just moderately serious.”

Butze-Maille is still being charged with threatening to commit murder, willfully communicating a threat concerning a dangerous item, and intimidation of a witness.

The teen is being held on dangerousness charges after one brave high school girl told authorities of Butze-Maille’s plan to shoot up the school and said he threatened to kill her if she told anyone.

Methuen Police say they executed a search warrant and found “significant evidence” that Butze-Maille was had every intention to commit a “Columbine style attack” on the school. A reference to the 1999 Mass shooting in Columbine, Colorado. Twelve  students and one teacher were murdered, twenty-four others were injured by other students.

Solomon said that the police and school officials are continuing to improve security at all city schools and that every effort is being made to ensure every student is safe at school. 

“We need to continue our vigilance in the schools,” Solomon said. “I’ve met twice with superintendent on this, there are additional measures we are taking to ensure student safety in every school in Methuen. I am personally attending training with the Methuen School Officers to move us from where we are, to an advanced level of lockdown. When that is done, we will move the success we have already had with to the next level.”

 

 

RELATED STORY:

Radio Interview of Chief Solomon (Dec 15, 2012) Chief talks candidly about the details of the arrest and how they prevented a mass school shooting like the one that took place just days later in Newtown Connecticut

BREAKING…..Officials Address Rumors of Additional Threats in Methuen High School

 

 

 

 

Tom Duggan

Tom Duggan

Tom Duggan is president and publisher of The Valley Patriot Newspaper in North Andover Massachusetts, a former Lawrence School Committeeman, former political director for Mass. Citizens Alliance, a 1990 Police Survivor and hosts the Paying Attention! Radio Program on 980WCAP in Lowell, Massachusetts. You can email your comments to valleypatriot@aol.com.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookFlickrYouTube

Comments

comments

7 Responses to District Attorney Drops Terror Charge on Methuen Teen who made “Columbine” Threat

  1. Frank Raciti Reply

    January 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

    I would like to know why Terror charges were dropped.Are you going to give this kid a second chance to try it again?

  2. Pingback: Methuen Teen Being Held on Terrorism Charges Becomes Free Speech Poster Boy | The Valley Patriot

  3. Pingback: Grand Jury Fails to Indict D’Ambrosia, Methuen Teen Freed After being Charged with Terrorism for Facebook Threats | The Valley Patriot

Leave a Reply