Plan Ahead for Your Pets When Traveling, Unexpected Inclement Weather
By: Tracey Zysk, Doggie Columnist – November, 2012
Traveling for the holidays? Leaving your pets in the care of family, friends or a pet care service? Or if you are just staying at home during the storms: Please plan ahead for what mother nature may send our way. This past week when Hurricane Sandy hit, I had two clients traveling overseas and neither were about to return to the States for almost a week later.
- A couple extra cans of dog or cat food
- Can opener – manual not electric
- Buy a gallon of water
- Super yummy treats and a favorite toy
- Medications- ( may be worth getting the prescription filled if running low )
- Collar with ID tags – animals name and phone number and your contact info
- Crate or a carrier – in case you must evacuate
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Wee Wee pads and some cleaning supplies
- Pet First Aid kit
Plan on indoor playtime! If you have a dog and cat that tend not to get along or a cat that is typically an outdoor cat…well your house may have a little extra energy this week. Please remember this is not the norm for your pets, they may be nervous, tired and or anxious. Please have a little extra patience with them.
Bring in your outdoor pets…ALL cats must come in!
- 1. If you have bunnies, try bringing their cage into your garage for a few days
- 2. If you have a barn, prep it and have extra food available in case you are unable to get outside to check on your animals
If you need to evacuate please remember:
- Most hotels will allow you to bring your pet “in case of an emergency” but please call to confirm first.
- If you are going to a family or friend’s home, This is all new to your pet too, understand your animal’s behavior may not be his normal self.
- If you are being placed in a shelter please confirm they allow pets. A RED CROSS SHELTER WILL NOT ALLOW ANY ANIMAL INTO THEIR SHELTERS. Please request a town or FEMA sponsored shelter as they care and realize your pet is your family ~ ALL are welcomed
Tracey Zysk, owner of Wiggles & Jiggles Pet Care in North Andover MA is a local pet care professional. She has been featured on local radio, tv and newspapers educating the general public on animal care and animal health & wellness.
Tracey is a proud supporter of Police, Fire & Military K9 units. Tracey may be reached at email@example.com. Become a fan on facebook at Wiggles & Jiggles Pet Care.