Essex County D.A. Tucker Releases Investigation Details on Deaths of Robinson Family in Andover  

The following is a summary of findings from the investigation conducted by Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to the Essex County District Attorney’s Office, detectives from the Andover Police Department and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

  1. About 3:09 a.m. on Feb. 9, 2023, the Andover Police Department received a 911 call from 48 Porter Road, Andover. Investigators believe the call was placed by Andrew Robinson. A young male voice, believed to be that of Sebastian Robinson, could be heard shouting in the background. The voices on the call were difficult to understand, but loud smashing sounds could be heard, and officers were dispatched to the home at 3:10 a.m. Investigators now believe the sounds were gunshots.


  1. The first officers arrived about 3:18 a.m. When they knocked on the front door,they received no response. When they went to the rear of the home, they looked through a sliding-glass door and observed a woman with apparent injuries, lying on the floor. They decided to make a forced entry at that time.


  1. After entry, the officers found Andrew Robinson, 56, in the family room with a gun. He was dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot. Officers also found Sebastian Robinson, 12, deceased on the kitchen floor from gunshots. In addition, officers confirmed the woman they observed in a hallway off the kitchen, Linda Robinson, 55, was dead from gunshots.


  1. Officers recovered a 9mm Sig Sauer handgun, as well as spent casings and live rounds, in the kitchen and family room. A subsequent check confirmed the firearm had been purchased legally and properly registered, and Andrew Robinson had a license to carry that had expired over a year earlier, on Feb. 1, 2022.


  1. At this time, investigators believe Andrew Robinson shot and killed his wife, then his son, before shooting himself. Investigators have learned through conversations with family and friends that Andrew Robinson was depressed and having trouble sleeping, and was seeking treatment for physical and mental health issues from medical professionals in the area. He also had been prescribed medication for his conditions. There were no prior police responses to the residence.

Essex County District Attorney Paul F. Tucker said: “While we can never know everything going on inside someone’s home or mind, we’re absolutely clear domestic violence can’t be tolerated for any reason, and that there’s a mental health crisis in our country. Our office works daily to address each problem, and I urge those in need – and those who care about them – to reach out to us, the state government and outside groups for support. No one should feel alone as they cope with these problems.”

Andover Police Chief Patrick Keefe said: “Unfortunately, we will never have all the answers of why this horrendous incident occurred. However, some of the ‘why’ has been answered, and we hope it provides some closure for the extended family and everyone else affected.”