Lawrence Fire DepT. Reminds You to Test Smoke Detectors During Daylight Saving Time

lawrence-fire-department-patchLAWRENCE — Chief Brian Moriarty and the Lawrence Fire Department ask that as residents move their clocks back an hour during daylight saving in less than two weeks, they also remember to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

Daylight saving begins Sunday, Nov. 6 at 2 a.m.

“Just like setting your clocks back is part of your routine, testing your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on a regular basis should be too,” Chief Moriarty said. “We ask that all residents and business owners take a few moments check their devices to ensure they’re working properly.”

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that 71 percent of smoke alarms that failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries. The Lawrence Fire Department asks that all business owners not only change the batteries in their clocks, smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, but also replace the batteries on wall mounted emergency lights and exit signs. Additionally, all businesses have emergency backup lighting as a safety feature to provide temporary lighting in case of power failure.

In order to keep your home safe and prevent fires, Chief Moriarty recommends that residents follow safety tips outlined by NFPA:

• Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button. Replace the smoke alarm immediately if it doesn’t respond properly when tested.
• Replace batteries when you change your clocks.
• Make sure that everyone in the home understands the sound of the smoke alarm and knows how to respond. If the smoke alarm sounds, exit your home and call 911.
• Replace all smoke alarms when they reach 10 years old.
• Smoke alarms with non-replaceable (life-long) batteries are designed to remain effective for up to 10 years. If the alarm chirps, a warning that the battery is low, replace the entire smoke alarm right away.The replacement process is fairly simple and batteries can be purchased for most units at the local hardware store. Many fire protection companies can also provide this service.

For more information on smoke detector and carbon monoxide safety, visit the NFPA website or contact the Lawrence Fire Department at 978-620-3400.