Gr. Boston Sports Collectors Club Athlete Signing

Gr. Boston Sports Collectors Club Athlete Signing

Question and Answer with Mike Josselyn of Sure Shot Promotions about the 31st Greater Boston Sports Collectors Club athlete signing at the Wilmington Shriner’s Auditorium from November 04-06, 2016. Q: Out of everyone in the line up this year, who are the Top 3 athletes that you are excited to see? A: Actually I am […]

EDITORIAL: Ballot Questions: Charter Schools, Marijuana, Animals, Slot Parlors

EDITORIAL: Ballot Questions: Charter Schools, Marijuana, Animals, Slot Parlors

VALLEY PATRIOT EDITORIAL  OCTOBER 2016 There are four ballot questions Massachusetts voters will be asked to decide on Election Day. Here are our recommendations. VOTE YES ON QUESTION #1: Voters are asked in question #1 whether or not to expand the amount of slot gambling parlors in Massachusetts from one to two. We believe in […]

Strengthening Public Health and Safety ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH KATY IVES

Strengthening Public Health and Safety  ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH KATY IVES

By: State Senator Katy Ives – Oct. 2016 On July 31, the formal legislative session technically ended, meaning that between August and January, no formal voting on major bills takes place. In the months leading up to the beginning of a new formal session in January, I’m focusing in on what bills are priorities for […]

Cape Ann Communities Like Lawrence Hold Keys to Eradicating Homelessness

Cape Ann Communities Like Lawrence Hold Keys to Eradicating Homelessness

By: Joe D’Amore – October, 2016 The city of Lawrence and several Cape Ann communities have an almost intractable homelessness problem not unlike other urban centers in the United States. The twin primary drivers are lack of affordable housing and an economy that does not produce sufficient jobs for people looking for them throughout the […]

Merrimack Valley Hospice offering a Grief Support Group for Men

Merrimack Valley Hospice offering a Grief Support Group for Men

Lawrence MA. –  Merrimack Valley Hospice is currently providing a Grief Support Group for men who have lost a love one and they welcome new participants.  The group is meeting on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in the Griffin-White meeting room at Merrimack Valley Hospice House located at 360 North Avenue in […]

Elder Services Executive Director Wins National Leadership Award

Elder Services Executive Director Wins National Leadership Award

Rosanne Distefano, Executive Director of Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley was presented the Excellence in Leadership Award from the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging during the n4a Annual Conference in San Diego, CA. Rosanne was one of three individuals recognized nationally for their work in the field of aging. Rosanne has 40 […]

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much…..Helen Keller ~ ROBIN’S KITTY CORNER

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much…..Helen Keller ~ ROBIN’S KITTY CORNER

By: Robin Desmet – Sept. 2016 Oftentimes when I show up at someone’s home to trap their backyard cats, I am by myself. I set up the traps and then spend a few hours getting to know them and explaining what I do. But although I am by myself, I am by no means doing […]

Teachers Lives Matter ~ YE GAY OL’ VALLEY

Teachers Lives Matter ~ YE GAY OL’ VALLEY

By: Dani Langevin – Sept. 2016 Last month, Tom Duggan posted a comment asking people if they supported merit pay for teachers and the claws came out. I’ve been an educator for my entire adult life and I have never come face to face with anyone who expressed disdain for my field. I know few […]

An Answer to Some Critics of the Expanded Use of NARCAN

An Answer to Some Critics of the  Expanded Use of NARCAN

By: State Rep. Linda Dean Campbell – Sept, 2016 During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln explained his reluctance to impose capital punishment upon homesick soldiers that deserted or upon young men who bolted from their posts and “ran like hell” when being fired upon for the first time. Quite simply, he said, “It is simply […]

High Court Ruling Is A Win for Electricity Ratepayers ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR IVES

High Court Ruling Is A Win for Electricity Ratepayers ~ IN YOUR CORNER WITH SENATOR IVES

By: State Senator Kathleen Ives – Sept, 2016 In August, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court made an important ruling, determining it to be unlawful for electric distribution companies to pass along to ratepayers the costs associated with the construction of new, privately-owned natural gas pipelines, through what some have referred to as a “pipeline tax.” […]

Cambridge College-Lawrence Moves to State of the Art Campus

Cambridge College-Lawrence Moves to State of the Art Campus

New location expands capacity, increases student resources and enhances access Cambridge College recently announced plans to move its campus from 360 Merrimack Street to 280 Merrimack Street in Lawrence, effective September of 2016. Located in the heart of the Riverwalk, the new location offers students large modern classrooms, improved technology, student-focused amenities such as a […]

National Night Out on Tower Hill in Lawrence

National Night Out on Tower Hill in Lawrence

By: Rickey Gonzalez – Aug. 2016 LAWRENCE – National Night Out continues to bring the community together with those that protect and serve. They (who) come together under a united cause, to take back the streets and having fun in a safe environment. Keith Wlodyka, who organizes the event on Tower Hill each year, alongside […]

Medical Interpreter Information Session Offered at NECC

Medical Interpreter Information Session Offered at NECC

An information session, for individuals interested in enrolling in a Medical Interpreter Certificate Program at Northern Essex Community College, will be held on Saturday, September 10, from 10 to 11 a.m. at NECC Riverwalk, Building 9, Entry K, 3rd Floor, 360 Merrimack St., Lawrence. The information session is designed to explore the field of medical […]

1 16 17 18 19 20 62