Free Speech Does Not Stop at the School House Doors – VALLEY PATRIOT EDITORIAL (5-19)

Free Speech Does Not Stop at the School House Doors – VALLEY PATRIOT EDITORIAL (5-19)

For too long, public education officials in this country have been bullying students in the classroom with impunity, preaching their political opinions as fact, and punishing students who do not comport with their approved political views. Nowhere is this more true than in the Andover Schools. In November of 2006, The Valley Patriot covered in […]

Scout Makes Rocking Chairs for Hospice Eagle Service Project

Scout Makes Rocking Chairs for Hospice Eagle Service Project

Haverhill, Mass- Among the beautiful elements inside High Pointe House, the hospice and palliative care residence of Merrimack Valley Hospice, now includes six new rocking chairs, handcrafted by Boy Scout Christopher Tringale of North Andover. Chris made the wooden rocking chairs as his Eagle Scout Service Project in memory of his grandmother, who was cared […]

Chelmsford’s Mike Miskell, Another Local Member of Patton’s 3rd Army – VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

Chelmsford’s Mike Miskell, Another Local Member of Patton’s 3rd Army – VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

By: John Cuddy – April, 2019 Chelmsford’s Mike Miskell, like many of the men and women who served during World War II, formed a lifelong friendship with another soldier they served with during the war. Mike was with York, Pennsylvania’s George Meanor, a Technical Sargent in his unit, the US Army’s 217th Artillery. The two […]

Kasper Joseph Kfoury, Petty Officer 2nd Class US Coast Guard ~ HERO IN OUR MIDST – VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

Kasper Joseph Kfoury, Petty Officer 2nd Class US Coast Guard ~ HERO IN OUR MIDST – VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

By: John Cuddy – March, 2019 Lawrence’s Kasper Kfoury was present at two of the most iconic events that took place during the twentieth century in the United States. He, his brother and some friends took a train to New York’s Yankee Stadium on July 4, 1939, and they were sitting in the stands when […]

All those EVIL Outsiders Bad Mouthing Lawrence! ~ PAYING ATTENTION with TOM DUGGAN

All those EVIL Outsiders Bad Mouthing Lawrence! ~ PAYING ATTENTION with TOM DUGGAN

March, 2019 There is no question that the City of Lawrence is the hub of the opioid epidemic in New England. There is also no question that while violent crime is drastically down over the last year, Lawrence is still a crime riddled city and a destination for heroin and other drug traffickers, users, and […]

MA Medical Society Supports Violating Physicians’ Rights

MA Medical Society Supports Violating Physicians’ Rights

By: Bharani Padmanabhan  – Feb. 2019 That our government cannot simply take a person’s liberty or property without due process is a bedrock principle of the United States as found in the 5th Amendment to the Constitution. That “governmental purpose to control or prevent activities constitutionally subject to state regulation may not be achieved by […]

102-year-old Tony Zukas, US Army, World War II ~ VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH, HERO IN OUR MIDST

102-year-old Tony Zukas, US Army, World War II ~ VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH, HERO IN OUR MIDST

By: John Cuddy – Feb. 2019 Haverhill’s Anthony J “Tony” Zukas lived at Haverhill Crossing on Amesbury Road near Northern Essex Community College when I interviewed him. The students at Northern Essex Community College, and all of us really, can learn much from this World War II Veteran. Originally, from Scranton, Pennsylvania, he was the […]

Tom Duggan’s Notebook (Jan. 2019)

Tom Duggan’s Notebook (Jan. 2019)

VALLEY PATRIOT BASH! – Put April 5th in your calendar now! The Valley Patriot will be holding our 15th Anniversary BASH scholarship and award night at the Firefighter’s Relief In, 1 Market Street in Lawrence. Each year we honor police officers, firefighters, veterans, and give out college scholarships to local students trying to get to […]

Legislature Tackled Key Issues with Practical Solutions

Legislature Tackled Key Issues with Practical Solutions

By: Rep. Linda Dean Campbell ~ Jan. 2019 During the 2017-2018 legislative session, my colleagues and I worked together in a bipartisan way to address pressing issues facing Massachusetts residents, from the opioid epidemic to economic development to natural gas infrastructure safety. The State Legislature passed major laws to strengthen our communities and improve both […]

Staff Sergeant Robert Belleau ~ HERO IN OUR MIDST, VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

Staff Sergeant Robert Belleau ~ HERO IN OUR MIDST, VALLEY PATRIOT OF THE MONTH

By: John Cuddy – Jan. 2019 Dracut’s Robert Belleau is one of the many US Military Veterans in the Merrimack Valley of French Canadian heritage. He joined the new US Air Force, (formed out of the US Army Air Corps shortly after World War II) partly out of patriotism, and partly, (his words) to avoid […]

#Triggered By Everything

#Triggered By Everything

By: Ken Willette – January, 2019 I think following some trolls on social media can be hazardous to your mental health. There, I said it, are you triggered now? Instead of focusing on the major problems in our society, many of these so-called social justice warriors are concentrating their energies on the proverbial trees rather […]

Methuen High School Parking Fee Should Be Repealed

Methuen High School Parking  Fee Should Be Repealed

By: Dj Deeb – January , 2019 At its December Business Meeting, members of the Methuen School Committee voted unanimously to adopt a $100 student parking fee effective during the 2019-2020 school year. Unfortunately, I was one of those votes and after analyzing the issue further I regret my decision. I have placed a Motion […]

18 Local Lenders Offer Valley Small Businesses $2 Million Emergency Loan Fund

18 Local Lenders Offer Valley Small Businesses $2 Million Emergency Loan Fund

Small Businesses impacted by the gas emergency have access to capital thanks to local, collaborative Financial Institutions. BOSTON – December 19, 2018 – Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation (MGCC) announces the full funding of a $2 million recapitalization of the Merrimack Valley Small Business Emergency Loan Fund with support from 18 local financial institutions. The additional […]

Body and Brain Yoga at Riverwalk

Body and Brain Yoga at Riverwalk

BodynBrain Yoga Riverwalk is located in the Riverwalk complex in Lawrence. Although it serves the community by offering daily yoga and Tai Chi classes, free workshops on gut health and successful aging and free family classes, it is also interested in spreading “Brain Education” in the local and surrounding schools. The staff at BodynBrain Riverwalk […]

1 5 6 7 8 9 62