New Hampshire’s Marijuana Law Betrays Small Government Principles

By: DJ Bettencourt – February, 2014 Granite Staters might assume that New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan’s pledge to veto legislation passed this month to legalize marijuana would end the discussion of the issue for this legislative session. Instead, it has intensified the debate at a time when marijuana policy is making history and emerging as […]

Computer Problems in the Veteran’s Administration

By: John Lenotte – February, 2014 There have been a lot of news stories about the computer security problems at Target and other stores. Have you heard much about the computer problems with the Veterans Administration? A software glitch allowed users to access one another’s private information. The government wants veterans to file online, but […]

IN YOUR CORNER with KATY IVES – A Response to Court Rulings on Sentencing Juveniles Convicted of 1st Degree Murder

IN YOUR CORNER with KATY IVES – A Response to Court Rulings on Sentencing Juveniles Convicted of 1st Degree Murder

By: Senator Kathleen O’Connor Ives – February, 2014 Senators Barry Finegold, (D-Andover), Bruce Tarr (R-Gloucester), Richard Moore (D-Uxbridge), Eileen Donoghue (D-Lowell), James Timilty (D-Walpole), Joan Lovely (D-Salem), Richard Ross (R-Wrentham), and Don Humason (R-Westfield), recently filed legislation to require juveniles convicted of first-degree murder to serve a minimum of 35 years before becoming eligible for […]

PAYING ATTENTION! with Tom Duggan – Why is Lowell Wasting Your Tax Money on Hydrants?

PAYING ATTENTION! with Tom Duggan – Why is Lowell Wasting Your Tax Money on Hydrants?

MADE IN THE USA? FIRE HYDRANTS … REALLY? If you told me when we started this newspaper ten years ago that I would be writing a column about fire hydrants someday, I couldn’t even imagine a scenario where I would want to do such a thing. But, when I learned last summer that local taxpayers […]

Salem Man Starts Home Makeover 7 Years After Haffners Contaminates Basement

PAYING ATTENTION EXTRA Demers Family is Looking for Help from Valley Patriot Readers By: Tom Duggan – February, 2014 I’ve known Mike Demers since we were in high school together at the Greater Lawrence Vocational School.And though we haven’t seen each other much in the last 30 years, when Mikey called me last month asking […]

TEEN TALK WITH ANA DEBERNARDO – Marching for LIFE in Washington DC

TEEN TALK WITH ANA DEBERNARDO – Marching for LIFE in Washington DC

By: Ana Debernardo – February 2014 I’ve just returned home after spending four days in Washington, D.C., at the March for Life. About 80 kids from my school, and a dozen chaperones, take two buses every year. This year was my second consecutive year attending (as I am a sophomore). Both years, I was inspired […]

February, 2014 Valley Patriot, Edition 124 – TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN

RIGHT CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FEBRUARY 2014 VALLEY PATRIOT! (DOWNLOAD TIME 2MIN)

The Paying Attention! Radio Program with Tom Duggan, February 8, 2014

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD OR LISTEN TO HOUR 1 CLICK TO DOWNLOAD OR LISTEN TO HOUR 2  Starting the show off Tom was a bit lethargic after the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade fundraiser last night but that didn’t stop the usual hilarity that is Tom’s take on things to dominate the show. Tom Took a few […]

Valley Patriot Doggie Columnist Receives National Award from Pet Sitters International (PSI) 2013 Platinum PAW Award

Valley Patriot Doggie Columnist Receives National Award from Pet Sitters International (PSI) 2013 Platinum PAW Award

Valley Patriot Doggie Columnist Tracey Zysk of North Andover, owner of Wiggles & Jiggles Pet Care has won a national award by Pet Sitter’s International for promoting quality pet care through community events. Zysk has been named the recipient of the 2013 Platinum PAW Award. This prestigious award is presented to one individual pet sitter or pet-sitter […]

SSgt. Dudley Farquhar, U.S. Army, 1st/1 Cav, Americal (23d Infantry)

SSgt. Dudley Farquhar, U.S. Army, 1st/1 Cav, Americal (23d Infantry)

By: Helen Mooradkanian – February, 2014 They called it “the Valley of Death”—the dreaded Hiep Duc Valley in Vietnam. The enemy’s stronghold. A major battleground. One where American units were nearly annihilated. Sergeant Dudley H. Farquhar, A Troop, 1/1st Cav, Americal Division (23d Infantry), as a member of Americal’s Reactionary Forces was sent in with […]

Methuen Teen Josh Flagg Vying for National Rubik’s Cube Championship

By: Tom Duggan – January. 2014 Methuen teenager Josh Flagg entered his first Rubik’s Cube contest in April of 2011 at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His second competition was at Harvard where he competed in a four by four Rubik’s Cube. In total, Josh has competed in 26 Rubik’s Cube tournaments across the country including the “worlds” […]

1 40 41 42 43 44 62